“A Goal Without a Plan is Just a Dream.” Author Unknown
I have always loved the beginning of a New Year….new beginnings, reminiscing and hope! I must admit, I’ve never been a huge fan of resolutions but I do believe in setting goals for myself. Last year was the first time I had actually taken the time to write them down (and put them out there for the world to see) and I have to say, it was ok….I survived! It was nice to look back at that list throughout the year in an attempt to stay on track. My goals aren’t set in stone and my list should not make me feel bad because let’s face it, life shifts directions and goals change….but I find it necessary to give myself at least a starting point.
I read an interesting post earlier this week written by Mari Smith that talked about her approach in using a one word guide for the entire year. If you’re interested, you can read her entire post here. I thought it sounded like a good way to summarize what’s important to you in the New Year. So this year I’ve decided to do the same thing by adding an overall “theme” for my business. I thought long and hard and have decided that CLARITY is my one word for 2012. It’s time for me to get really clear on where I see my life and business going….I mean if I don’t know, then how am I ever going to get there, right?
To help me get a head start on my 2012 theme, I found a great little exercise that helped me begin to see things just a little bit clearer. It’s called a 3 year vision plan and what’s great about it is you can make it be about anything that’s important to you….your health, your family, your business, ANYTHING! If you want to see what I’m talking about, you can check out exactly how to do it here. It just takes a little bit of thought and time but its fun to think forward to what your bright and exciting future can be!
In writing my plan, I came up with the following goals for the New Year….and no pressure of course, if I only achieve a couple of them I’ll still be way ahead of where I am right now. But for now, we’ll just have to wait and see how well I do! Here’s my short list of what I plan to work on and improve in the New Year:
- GROWTH – Continue working on and growing my business. Make commitments and follow through to show my family that if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it!
- HOME – Spend some much needed time furnishing and decorating my own home. I spend so much time giving my clients a home they can proud of, I can never quite find the time to work on my own.
- FAMILY – I plan to spend more quality time with my family unplugged from my electronics. Enjoying simple things with them like playing chess, going to the movies, and more family dinners together.
- FRIENDSHIPS – I met so many amazing people in 2011, I will continue to build on those precious relationships and look forward to all the new people I will meet in the coming year.
- HEALTH – Although I did spend a little bit of time in the gym in 2011, it wasn’t nearly enough. I’m hoping to make it a regular event every week. And eating more fresh whole foods will help me feel better and give me the energy I need.
- TRAVEL – I finally figured out that I LOVE to travel in 2011 so I’m hoping that 2012 brings even more adventures. I’m planning on more travel for business and hopefully more vacations with my family!
- LEARN – This will always be a never ending theme in my life…and I can only hope that it has been instilled in my kids. May they understand and appreciate the importance of always expanding your mind.
- CELEBRATE – I hope to be able to really take the time to celebrate many things in the coming year from holidays and birthdays to small feats and big successes. I will try to be in the moment and appreciate!
- DELEGATE – This will be a tough one for me but I’m going to give it a go. I will try to let go of doing everything myself and let go of perfection. Things don’t always have to be done my way….if I can do it, this will be a huge relief!
- SELF – I need to spend more time taking care of myself…from getting manicures and massages to plenty of rest and relaxation. I know this will be extremely tough for me, as with most moms we tend to put ourselves last!
- GRATITUDE – I am so thankful for all that has happened in my life and grateful for those special people around me. I want to spend more time showing thanks to all those that I appreciate so much!
- COMMITMENT – I will try to be more focused and committed to everything I do. I want to let go of all of the distractions and things that don’t matter in my life to make room for those few things that are the most important!
And there you have it, my 12 goals for the next twelve months! I’m not putting any extra pressure on myself but if I can accomplish a couple of them I’ll be happy. We’ll have to check back in a year and see how well I’ve done (or not)! May 2012 be an amazing and prosperous year for us all! What are your goals?