Even though last was a very busy week for me, I made sure I did not miss a fantastic keynote presentation at the Atlanta Decorative Arts Center (ADAC) featuring Valerie Moran. I was able to squeeze it in between furniture installs, client meetings, a huge rug manufacturing issue and did I mention the exorbitant amount of time its taking to get my new website off the ground (more about that later as we’re hoping to officially launch it by the first of the year).
Valerie is an industry expert, consultant and visionary, drawing on 30 years of home-furnishing industry experience. She was once the CEO and President of Grange Furniture and is now a member of the Board of Directors for Groupe Grange. She is full of insight and trade knowledge which made this must attend seminar a no brainer for me. She spoke on the “Secrets for Business Success in 2012” and I was fortunate enough to come away with 18 pages of useful notes that I plan to put into full use.
One of the important topics discussed during the seminar was why people should hire us. We as Interior Designers know why we’re important and what benefits people gain from working with us but even more important than that, we need to make sure that homeowners know all of the advantages as well. So below is my top 10 list of why homeowners should hire Interior Designers. Most would agree that designers are responsible for creating spaces which accommodate their clients needs, their lifestyles and their tastes within an agreed upon budgets but what are some of the other reasons?
- We understand the “Visual Mass” of furniture and not just “numerical dimensions” when it comes to space planning.
- Designers help allocate the best places to spend the budget.
Designer Tip: Don’t put the most expensive furniture in low usage rooms (Formal Living and Dining Rooms)….be sure to allocate workhorse furniture in high use rooms (Kitchens and Keeping Rooms).
- We help eliminate the possibility of costly mistakes.
- Interior Designers are great editors.
- We can save you an abundance of time considering time is one of life’s greatest luxuries.
- Designers have extensive knowledge about the process, products and choices (classics vs. trends).
Designer Tip: Homeowners may not know the difference between a $1000.00 George Smith style sofa at Pottery Barn, a $5000.00 George Smith style sofa from Century or the $18,000 Georgia Smith original but an Interior Designer will.
We can narrow down all of the thousands of choices out there these days.
- Interior Designers are wonderful at determining VALUE in products and services.
- Designers have the talent and ability to incorporate finishing details to make each space special and unique.
- Clients lives evolve and change and designers can help navigate the way through these life transformations.
Designer Tip: Homeowners should consider calling in a designer when their kids move out, they are selling and buying a new home, they downsize, they move up in size, and even when their parents or loved ones move in for care or assistance.